Wednesday 27 September 2023

World Cup - Brazil 2023 - Pico do Gaviao, Andradas - Task 3 (yet Another) 87km

 The wind was predicted north-westerly strengthening to 30km/h+ so we were sent off the north launch with a more sensible start after the protest about the start yesterday.  The potent conditions saw more airspace infringements on the day.  A new law of nature has emerged in Andradas where maximum heart rate is directly correlated to proximity of 3050m ASL.  I watched many pilots spiralling desperately after flying into huge patches of lift that hoisted them rapidly toward the hard ceiling.


I wish  I could share the task with you blow by blow, but my race was over ten minutes before the start where I went from perfectly positioned to holding a detached brake handle after a particularly nasty blow-out and aggressive shock re-inflation of my wing at close to 3000m ASL.  Can't catch a break it seems.  I managed to land safely after a long internal debate about the sensibility of trying to fly the task in strong conditions with one brake.

Jon had the perfect start reaching the first turnpoint ahead of the horde, only to discover, after a successful goal, that he was a few seconds early at the start.  Khobi also had a difficult time.  Only Russell managed to save some SA face by romping into goal in 20th position on the day for a 20th overall.  

Russell, Khobi, and Jon all reported turbulent conditions and 30km/h headwinds on the into-wind leg.  Russell saw 90km/h ground speed and a final glide ratio of 20 into goal.  It took the goal bus three hours to crawl back to Andradas delivering Jon and Russell back to us exhausted, famished, and relieved.

It is debatable if Wednesday will be flyable given the strong wind forecast.  I need to check if my glider is damaged after yesterday's little incident given the ripping sounds I heard and the visible damage to some of the stitching on the risers.

No comments: